Olaf Giebe is representing German and international companies and groups for more than 30 years in patent infringement proceedings in all technical areas including chemicals, pharmaceuticals, materials science, biotechnology, electronics, and mechanical engineering. He is particularly specialised in the area of chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and the automotive industry. He has extensive experience in intellectual property litigation through his activity as a lawyer before the district court and the higher regional court of Duesseldorf and in the courts of Munich, Mannheim, and Karlsruhe, as well as by participation in numerous proceedings before the Federal Supreme Court, the Federal Patents Court and the European Patent Office. His expertise is especially requiered when it comes to complex, cross-disciplinary problems. Furthermore, he has acted and continues to act as an arbitrator in WIPO and DIS arbitration proceedings, also as chairman of the arbitral tribunal.
- „Hall Of Fame/Patent Litigation“ - Legal 500 (2021)
- "Very thorough", Competitor - JUVE Handbook of Commercial Law Firms 2020/2021
- "Leading counsel (over 50 years) among litigators in patent law" - JUVE Handbook 2021
- "Olaf Giebe and Constantin Kurtz are particularly specialized in patent litigation in the field of electronics/telecommunications..." - Legal 500 Germany 2020/2021
- "Olaf Giebe: Extremely experienced, can get to grips with complex issues very quickly, very good negotiation strategy. Excellent support." - Legal 500 Germany 2020/2021
Patent and utility models
Patent and utility models
The powerfulness of our patent law team is based on a deep understanding of technical and economic contexts. We can rely on many years of experience in out-of-court counseling and judicial enforcement of your claims before the specialized German courts. But we also support and represent you in and out-of-court in the case of claims against your company due to alleged infringement of intellectual property rights and develop strategies for effective defense together with you. We assist you in opposition, nullity or cancellation proceedings before the German and European Patent Offices and the Federal Patent Court as well as before the Federal Supreme Court.
|1987||Admission to the bar|
|1987 - 1990||Lawyer specialised in patent law at the Duesseldorf district court|
|1974 - 1980||Studies at the University of Goettingen|
- Olaf Giebe: Kategorisches zum Verwendungsanspruch, in Festschrift für Peter Meier-Beck zum 65. Geburtstag (GRUR 2/2021), C.H. Beck, München, 2021, 191 - 196.
- Olaf Giebe: Sachansprüche mit product-by-process-Merkmalen im Verletzungsprozess, in Festschrift 80 Jahre Patentgerichtsbarkeit in Düsseldorf, Heymanns, Köln, 2016, 125 - 140.
- Olaf Giebe: Zur Auslegung von Patentansprüchen mit chemischen Strukturformeln - was ändert sich durch ‚Olanzapin’?, in Festschrift für Wolfgang von Meibom, Heymanns, Köln, 2010, 95 - 104.
- Rückblick: Die Einführung des Münchner Verfahrens
Veranstaltung des Präsidiums des Landgerichts München I , 10 Jahre Münchner Verfahren in Patentstreitsachen
Speakers: Olaf Giebe, Dr. Peter Guntz (Beschwerdekammern des EPA, VRiLG a.D.)
Date: Oktober 24, 2019
Place: Munich Palace of Justice