Dr. Ralf Hackbarth is active at an international level and with special expertise in the areas of trademark law, design patent law and unfair competition law. He provides comprehensive legal advice to German and international clients on the protection of intellectual property. One special focus of his activities is the enforcement of copyright and design patent rights in litigation before the specialized civil courts in Germany. He is a long-standing lecturer inter alia at the German bar association and at the FORUM management institute.
German, English, French
- “Ralf Hackbarth surely is one of the best German trademark lawyers and very experienced in court. His thoroughness is the basis of his success.” - Legal 500 EMEA 2021
- "Oliver Rauscher has known the client's specific needs for many years and uses this knowledge to develop good solutions in trademark law issues. The same applies to Ralf Hackbarth." - Legal 500 Germany 2020/2021
- "Very competent, responsive and proactive as well as entrepreneurial"-Client - JUVE 2019/2020
- "Competent, pleasant, simply great", Competitor - JUVE Handbook of Commercial Law Firms 2020/2021
- "Ralf Hackbarth is an exceptionally experienced litigator in trademark and design law, who is able to maintain an overview and make the most of his experience, especially in large, complex proceedings." - Legal 500 Germany 2020/2021
Trademarks communicate the image of your products and are the voice of product marketing. Their value can quickly exceed the material value of a company. We support you in establishing and expanding your trademark portfolio, in monitoring it and in defending it vigorously. KLAKA helps with everything that makes up the "life" of a brand.
The protection of products and product parts by registered and unregistered designs has been of increasing importance for many years. It is an effective instrument against counterfeits. This applies to national designs as well as to designs protected within the EU, to the acquisition of design protection as well as to the enforcement of design rights, out of court and before the courts.
The global market is characterised by free trade. The rules of this international economic exchange are expressed in unfair competition law. Comparative or misleading advertising, product imitation, the headhunting of personnel or price dumping may result in unfair competition proceedings. This affects all sectors, from the automotive industry to financial services, from retailers to the internet trade, or from the pharmaceuticals industry to the increasingly deregulated energy supply market.
Geographical indications and designations of origin draw people' attention to the special characteristics and particular quality of goods and correspondingly place the products on the market. The EU legislator has continuously reinforced the rights to geographical indications and designations of origin for wines, spirits, agricultural products and foodstuffs in the last few years. A regulation for the protection of geographical indications for industrial products is on the agenda.
More about Geographical indications
Domain names and IT
Domain names and IT
We register, manage and defend your domain names in UDRP proceedings and in court. We also defend your brand and company trademarks against identical domain names and against abusive domain applications and uses. We can here not only rely on our distinctive expertise in trademark law, but also on the experience and know-how of an arbitrator of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in UDRP proceedings who has been acting for many years.
|1994||Admission to the bar|
|1993||Master of Laws, London, (intellectual property)|
|1993||Doctor of Law with doctorate on the Fundamental issues on the obligation to apply community trademark law, awarded second prize by the German Brands' Association|
|1992 - 1993||Guest lecturer, University College, London|
|1989 - 1992||Research assistant at the Universities of Constance (under Professor Fezer) and Cologne (under Professor Wiedemann)|
|1983 - 1986||Studies at the Universities of Hamburg and Freiburg|
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (GRUR)
International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
Member of the Board of the German National Group and of the AIPPI Standing Committee on Geographical Indications
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- European Community Trademark Association (ECTA)
- Dr. Ralf Hackbarth: Buchbesprechung zu Designgesetz 6. erw. Aufl., Eichmann/Jestaedt/Fink/Meiser GRUR 2020, 270.
- Dr. Ralf Hackbarth: Lagerhalter besitzt nicht zu Zwecken des Angebots/Vertriebs, EuGH GRUR-Prax 2020, 205
- Dr. Ralf Hackbarth: Informierter Benutzer bei Kfz-Modellpflege für Unterschiede sensibilisiert, BPatG GRUR-Prax 2020, 107
- Highlights im Markenrecht
Gewerblicher Rechtsschutz, Urheber- und Medienrecht (GRUR) Seminare 2021
Speaker: Dr. Ralf Hackbarth
Date: December 8, 2021, 10:00 - 12:45 h
Place: online seminar