Dr. Carola Onken specialises in advising and representing clients, in particular companies and associations, on trademark law and unfair competition law. She also has many years of experience in the enforcement of geographical indications and designations of origin. Further focal points of her activity constitute German and European registration and objection proceedings, the representation of clients before the General Court and the European Court of Justice as well as the drafting and review of trademark licensing agreements.
Carola Onken is co-author of the Beck'sche Online Commentary on Trademark Law and of the Handbook of Intellectual Property Law. She regularly publishes judgment notes on trademark and competition law topics.
German, English, French
- Best Lawyers in Germany (2021 Edition)
- “Carola Onken is a fantastic expert of trademark law, and in an outstanding way is able, to successfully conduct administrative procedures at the DPMA or EUIPO.” - Legal 500 EMEA 2021
- Recommended in World Trademark Review 1000, 2021: The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
Trademarks communicate the image of your products and are the voice of product marketing. Their value can quickly exceed the material value of a company. We support you in establishing and expanding your trademark portfolio, in monitoring it and in defending it vigorously. KLAKA helps with everything that makes up the "life" of a brand.
The protection of products and product parts by registered and unregistered designs has been of increasing importance for many years. It is an effective instrument against counterfeits. This applies to national designs as well as to designs protected within the EU, to the acquisition of design protection as well as to the enforcement of design rights, out of court and before the courts.
The global market is characterised by free trade. The rules of this international economic exchange are expressed in unfair competition law. Comparative or misleading advertising, product imitation, the headhunting of personnel or price dumping may result in unfair competition proceedings. This affects all sectors, from the automotive industry to financial services, from retailers to the internet trade, or from the pharmaceuticals industry to the increasingly deregulated energy supply market.
Geographical indications and designations of origin draw people' attention to the special characteristics and particular quality of goods and correspondingly place the products on the market. The EU legislator has continuously reinforced the rights to geographical indications and designations of origin for wines, spirits, agricultural products and foodstuffs in the last few years. A regulation for the protection of geographical indications for industrial products is on the agenda.
More about Geographical indications
|2010||Doctorate in Law, with a research paper on the likelihood of confusion between trademarks consisting of the names of individuals|
|2007||Admission to the bar|
|2004 - 2006||Legal internship in Munich, Frankfurt and London|
|1998 - 2004||Studies at the University of Passau and Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia|
- Dr. Carola Onken: Kommentierung zu § 14 MarkenG (E. Markenverletzung bei Verwechslungsgefahr: Ähnlichkeit der Marken), in: Kur/v. Bomhard/Albrecht, Beck’scher Online-Kommentar Markenrecht, 28th edition version: 01.01.2022
- Dr. Andreas Schulz, Dr. Carola Onken: Inhalt des Markenrechts; Schranken des Markenrechts, in: Erdmann/Rojahn/Sosnitza, Handbuch FA Gewerblicher Rechtsschutz, Carl Heymanns, 3. Aufl. 2018, S. 575-642
- Dr. Carola Onken: Anm. zu OLG Frankfurt a. M.: Nicht markenmäßige Benutzung einer Modellbezeichnung Bekleidung, GRUR-Prax 2022, 48
- For the IP Palates: Wine, Marketing and GIs
ECTA Annual Meeting 2021
Speaker: Dr. Carola Onken
Date: October 22, 2021